“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” - R.W. Emerson
Monday, February 16, 2015
We made it! - Round 2
After 30 hours of travel, we arrived in Uganda... again. Justine ran to us at the airport and gave Dustin a giant squeeze hug. She made me ask for mine... I don't know what that's all about! It took about an hour to get to our room. Justine fell asleep with my arm around her in the backseat of the car. I had to keep holding her head up, she was so tired. We were immediately impressed with our room. It's actually more than a room, it's a two bedroom apartment. There was a fresh bunch of fruit on the counter, eggs in the fridge, bread in the cupboard. Even a tied up live chicken laying quietly under the counter- behind a giant burlap sack of plantains. Yeah, you read that right. Mark thought it was funny. Dustin nudged it with his foot and it made whatever noise living chickens make. Freaked Justine out. She bolted to the other side of the kitchen. Mark went ahead and had somebody take it away for is. No chicken slaughtering happening here, folks. Finally Mark left us to ourselves. I took Justine to her room and unpacked her clothes. When I opened the closet I noticed there were a few articles of clothing hanging up. Weird? I told Dustin and we both agreed that hopefully nobody was staying here. I thought maybe someone left them behind on accident. So after settling in and enjoying some bananas and a chicken free room, the phone rang. Dustin answered. We have been given the wrong room. Everything is coming together now. As we hustled to shove all our unpacked things into our bags before somebody caught us living in their space, I started to understand why there was a chicken there (still weird but I get it) and the fruit and groceries... ohhhhh no. We ate their food! And used their toilet...and threw garbage in their trash and got juicy grapefruit chunks on their floor. Actually Justine did that part, but that's beside the point. I could tell Justine was really confused as to why we were panic packing. Poor little thing. We couldn't explain it to her. After waiting about 15 minutes for someone to come exchange keys with us, we finally we able to settle into our new room. Justine played with her new-to-her baby doll for awhile and went right to sleep when I tucked her in. I can't say I wish the room mix up never happened though. Not everyone has a story like that to tell! Although, we are wondering about the person who was staying in the room we invaded. Dustin says, "Poor guy. He probably thinks the chicken got loose, ate the bananas, and ran out the door."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Glad you guys made it safe. I had a fun time picturing your first room experience in my head. Now the countdown to the return home. Have a good time and be safe!
ReplyDelete